Request for Proposals - Buyer/Broker Consultant for NYS Matchmaking
CADE seeks a consultant to connect our network of clients with buyer and market matchmaking to increase local food procurement. The Goal of our project is increasing farm and food business profitability, viability and sustainability through market matchmaking. This consultancy position will act as a liaison to brokers and buyers of New York products and will report to, and work directly with, CADE’s Value Chain and Marketing specialist, Kaitlyn Sirna.
The primary objectives are to:
1) Enhance CADEs network of buyers who value purchasing local and New York sourced, regeneratively produced, and other value-based purchasing;
2) Map buyers’ procurement needs in 12 key areas (e.g., product specs, required certifications, min volume, delivery expectations, etc.) to facilitate ‘smart’ matches between buyers and producers; and
3) Provide an analysis of buyer landscape and demand for produce, products, value-propositions and other.
SCOPE OF WORK
This consultancy will support CADE in identifying new market opportunities for its hundreds of clients of farm and food businesses which grow seasonal NY produce, meats, and value-added products that can meet the needs of large buyers. This project will support CADE in enhancing its buyer list with data collection and the direct introduction to key purchasers interested in procuring NY products and participating in value-based procurement practices.
Create a scoring matrix that identifies successful market-matchmaking criteria based on metrics identified
Provide direct lines of contact and introduction to at least 100* impactful buyers
A final report with:
CSV appendix with metrics on buyers in 12 key areas through interview or survey methods
A brief landscape analysis of buyers, key findings and lessons learned of the current climate of local food procurement
Recommendations for best practices for market matchmaking based on buyer preferences
Appendix: template pitch deck and process that supports buyers’ needs
*RFPs can be submitted for one or more buyer-industry type, potentially changing the scope of the project and thus buyer deliverable
Direct relationships with NYS brokers, buyers, and purchasers
Priority will be given to networks including public and private institutions, regional food distributors, grocers, and restaurant chains
An understanding of the nuance of farm and food business procurement
An understanding of up/down state distribution and logistics in New York State
A basic understanding of NY produce and local meat production, as well as seasonality and livestock raising timelines
Highly personable, with comfortability in direct communication with buyers, and cold-calling if needed
Availability that is conducive to connecting with buyers
Basic understanding of the data collection and organizing information into “.csv” files
Bonus if experienced with Hubspot, CADE’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool
Please submit a proposal (not to exceed 2 pages) to Kaitlyn (kaitlyn @cadefarms.org) with subject “B&B Consultant” by December 15, 2023 that contains the following information:
(1) a brief letter of interest, highlighting your resume, qualifications, and how you would approach leveraging your networks to encourage local food and value-based procurement (Describing how you would encourage purchasing could be better detailed in #3); (2) a sample list of past clients served, and identifying 3-5 broker or buyer relationships and/or networks you would leverage and have confidence in connecting with during this project that would support matchmaking (Please identify type of buyer using the following as a guide, or self label: Broker, Private institution (ex: hotel), Public institution (ex: schools, correction facilities), Grocer, Regional Distributor, Food Hub, Restaurant, Chain, Niche Market, Other) ;
(3) a proposed work plan, including a start date; and (4) a quote for fee* for service to conduct the deliverables outlined.
*Fee for service should be all inclusive – travel, phone, etc.
Fee & Timeline
Fee and timeline will vary greatly by current status of relationships with buyers. A consultant with an active network of buyers might complete this work in as little as six weeks, where others may need upwards of three months to cultivate meaningful relationships to then pass to CADE.
CADE is grant funded and therefore the budget range is dependent on the start/end date, and the determination of one or more consultants. This project has consulting fees earmarked for up to $40,000.
Proposal Submission Process
Proposals will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis, until the right candidate(s) is/are found. This project is to be completed by April 30, 2024, with a start date of no later than January 15, 2024. For follow up or additional questions, please contact Kaitlyn Sirna at email@example.com
No phone calls please. Farmers, people of color, persons with disabilities, women and LGBTQ+ consultants or MWBEs are encouraged to apply and will be given priority consideration for contracting.